Thursday, June 04, 2009

My Canine Child

My dog is driving me craaaaazy. I think he is developing major skin allergies, and is CONSTANTLY itching and biting at himself. The sound of it is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I feel horrible for him, and I can't get him into the vet until our next paycheck. It is absolutely horrible knowing exactly what he needs (shot of Depo-Medrol & GentaVed Spray) and not being able to provide it for him. I yell at him to stop itching, and he looks at me like, "Mom, my whole body itches!!" and it makes me want to cry. He has a big sore on his ear from where he scratched himself to hard, and is starting to get bald spots aroud his hind end. Lord knows that Brody has been a saving grace for me since we've been here. He has literally kept me sane through the long days and sometimes weeks without Drew. But, sometimes I question my decision to get him in the first place. Is it really fair to keep him when I can't afford to care for him properly? If he were a human child I would probably have CPS all over me right now. Drew tells me I go to extremes when analyzing the situation, but in all reality, my thought process is accurate. When I worked as a veterinary technician, I used to HATE owners like me who didn't bring their animals in until they had chewed themselves raw. Granted, I do know how to care for him better than your average owner, but still...

Well this is just a quick blog to rant about something that is literally making me go insane. I need to go fill up Brody's Kong ball so he can chew on that instead of himself. Great, now my dog is going to be bald AND fat when all is said and done.

*sigh*

2 comments:

DesignerSam said...

Wow, trust me I completely understand what you are going through- completely. I am sorry that you can't afford it right now... soon enough you'll get another paycheck.

can you afford to get him a wash or a shampoo or something at petsmart...? Sometimes those help. :)

Unknown said...

Gosh I can relate to this...Growing up we always had dogs, but when it came to stuff like this, we barly had the money to take them to the vet and it tore me up! We'd try our best with shampoos and drops and it helped, but I always wanted to do better:) You'll figure out whats the right thing. You should check out the vet clinic on post...Thats where I take our cat Peanut for shots and stuff. I don't think their too terribly expensive.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio