Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Criminal Justice and Air Assault

As of today, I am officially a student of Kaplan University. I have access to my online classroom and school e-mail, and have been touring the "campus" all day to familiarize myself with it. I have to say, it is quite amazing. There is absolutely everything you could expect from a regular classroom. I can speak with my fellow classmates about assignments through discussion boards and chats, and I can chat directly with my professors. Every week, there is a class seminar that I must log in to and it has interactive white boards, polls, question, etc from the professor. Thank God for technology, or school would be a no go for me.
Last night I had to do a timed Academic Readiness Assessment. My Admissions Advisor called me today and told me that I killed the test and received a 26 (he had told me to try to get at least an 18) and I don't have to do an introductory classes. I'm going straight in to my Criminal Justice classes, instead of Math, Science, and Reading. Woo hoo!

My feelings towards the Army today are a bit misguided. First, I am very happy that the military easily provides $6000 to spouses who wish to go to school for career advancement. It is a brand new program, and I am extremely impressed with it. I applied last week and have already been approved and my files sent over to the school for tuition.
Although I am being taken care of, I have to complain about the way Drew is being treated. During my blogging absence, Drew had been approved for Air Assault School, which he was completely stoked about. He spent the last two weeks preparing for it, spending money we did not have to complete the packing list and frantically trying to get everything just perfect so nothing could go wrong. When he went in for the physical, he found out that his medical records had not been transferred from Sand Hill (where he went for basic training) to 3rd ID (his current unit). Without a physical and a complete medical packet, he would not be able to go to Air Assault, so he spent about two days attempting to locate them. Heaven forbid the army attempts to correct their wrong, right? Anyway, the records were found, his physical was complete, and school was on again.
Drew was constantly hearing about how physically demanding Air Assault School is, and spent last weekend resting, sleeping, and making sure his packing list was ready to go. Yesterday was just an orientation and sign-in day, much to his relief, so he did what was required then went golfing with a friend to get his mind off it. 
Today, he woke up at the butt crack of dawn and left for Day 2. At noon, he called me, and his first words were, "I didn't even get a chance." When he had shown up, there were 350 guys and only 215 spots available. Drew passed the first 2 stages, then was waiting in line to do the 3rd, when they announced all the spots had been filled. 
So now he is back to square one.
I absolutely hate to see him bummed out and upset. I'm going to have to make him something extra special for dinner tonight. Hmm...

Well I'm off to do a million errands today. Logging off.
Katelyn

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio