Saturday, June 06, 2009

Gonna Wash Those Bugs Right Outta Your Hair!

They're here. Drew's grandparents just pulled into Columbus, and are going to be at our house any minute, so I'm sitting here on the couch psyching myself out by thinking that the house isn't clean enough, or that I don't have anything to cook for tonight, or that my wimpy dog is going to bark the whole time they are here. Blog.. I must blog to ease my mind.

Brody is doing much better. Since we have been in Georgia, I have religiously applied Frontline Plus and given him Hartguard heartworm preventative at the beginning of each month, due to the overwhelming amount of creepy crawlers that can make his (and my) life miserable. I can't believe how bad fleas and ticks are around here. In California, a monthly dose of Frontline will do the job and you'll never see a flea or tick. Here, the Frontline kills "98%" of fleas and ticks -- nevermind the fact that the other 2% is an unbelievabe amount. Its almost impossible to keep animals completely pest-free.
Anyway, after my last post I notice a couple fleas on Brody and realized he must be having allergic reactions to the bites. Bulldogs are known to have skin allergies, and a single bite could send their immune system over the edge. And, of course, Brody is not the exception. Thursday night Brody and I went on a mission -- to exterminate all the fleas in existence on him and anywhere near him. He woke me up by scratching himself at 2:30 am, and I was so bothered by it that I could not go back to sleep. Then, to top it all off, his stomach started growling because he hadn't eaten much the day before. I got out of bed and cooked him a bland diet meal (chicken and rice, fabulous for an upset stomach), which he loved. I know he likes being sick because he always gets his special meal, sometimes I think he fakes it. After he ate and his stomach finally stopped growling, I put him in the bath tub and scrubbed him head to toe in Dawn Dishoap, which is the home remedy for fleas.
As I was sitting on the edge of the tub rinsing him off, I remembered a song my mom used to sing to me EVERY time she would bathe my brother and I when we were babies. "I'm gonna wash that man right outta your hair, gonna wash that man right outta your hair." Why there would be a man in my hair, I have no idea. You know those things your parents did as you were growing up that you swore you would NEVER do? That always tends to bite me in the butt, because every day I remind myself more of my mom. Within minutes of Brody's bath, I was singing "I'm gonna wash those bugs right outta your hair, gonna wash those bugs right outta your hair." My version is much more realistic, and better.
Anyway, after Brody's bath I found some flea & tick killer for carpet/upholstery, and we completely fumigated the whole house. Now, all the fleas are in the vacuum or down the drain, and Brody has a fresh application of Frontline. Take that bugs.

Hubby just called me and advised that he and the grandparents are enroute to the house. He met them at the RV Park to help park and hook everything up. I need to log off and mentally prepare my special needs dog so he can handle their visit.
I'm sure anyone who reads my blog thinks I have the worst dog in the whole wide world. Drew woud agree with you. I think he's the child only a Momma would love. Don't tell him though.

This has officially been the most scatterbrained blog on the face of the internet.
Tootles.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm totally laughing over this song! Its too cute and the thought of you doing this at 2:30 a.m is so sweet it just makes me chuckle:) Brody has a good momma! I was going to text you back but thought it might be too late and now I'm glad I didn't because your with Drew's grandparents. But yes, I did get my puppy! I ended up with the exact opposite that I had intended to come home with. I ended up taking home Amanda's favorite, Lilly...I felt bad because I could tell she didn't want to let any of them go, but had to..I don't blame her! I wanted to adopt them all too:p Bella is settling in just fine I think! She doing number 1 and 2 outside (for the most part)and is nothing but a complete love...I am so happy with her and feel like her momma already! Right now she's cuddled up in her kennel wrapped in a flannel sheet:p BUt I'm not spoiling her or anything, lol...It'll be interesting to see how she does tonight, but that is the plan, to not cuddle her when she starts to whine...We'll see how I fair....Errrrr...Well now that I've written you a book on here I guess I'll end:p Maybe we could meet up with our dogs sometime and let them play...Bella misses her sisters, I can tell, and peanut won't wrestle with her:p Have a good time with the grandparents!

DesignerSam said...

You are a great mom to your dog- and every pet should be spoiled :) Good luck with the granparents, don't stress too much- it always is better than you think it will be. Have fun!!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio